Skype Etiquette Guidelines
1. Sit quietly and look at the screen so your audience can see that you are paying attention to them – remember that they can see you the whole time.
2. Do not raise your hand unless it’s question/answer time. Let the speaker finish first.
3. Do not shout out – wait to be called on.
4. When speaking to the other class, look into the webcam, not at yourself
5. Speak a little louder than your normal voice.
6. Be polite
Mystery Skype Teams
Mystery Skype Teams – give everyone a job!
• Greeters – say hello and tell something about the class without giving away location
• Inquirers – ask the questions
• Question Keepers – keep track of the questions and answers
• Mappers – use atlas, Google maps, etc. to zero in on the clues
• Digital Photographer/Videographer – captures the call with a digital and/or video camera
Clues to offer if they're stuck!
1. The time is…
2. The season is…
3. We are north/south/east/west of…
4. The beginning letter is…
5. We also speak French/German/Spanish/Mandarin etc…
During the Call:
During the call you just have to step back and trust the kids. My students were incredible, both with their enthusiasm and their knowledge, I think I was more nervous than they were. I did have to fact check some of their answers so I did stay close by but otherwise it ran pretty smoothly. We decided which class would go first with their first question and then there were two options:
One note; Don’t allow kids to use the Internet to try to google the other class – it spoils the geographical purpose of the challenge.
Credits: Janet Barnstable, David Karnoscak, Betsey Dixon, Armando Vezza, Louise Morgan
Our First Mystery Skype Session!
Possible Mystery Skype Questions:
1. Is your continent in the Eastern/Western Hemisphere?
2. Is your continent in the Northern/Southern Hemisphere?
3. Is your continent near the Atlantic/Pacific/Indian/Arctic Ocean?
4. Is your continent N. America/S. America/Africa/Europe/Asia/Australia/Antarctica?
5. Is it a big/small country?
6. Do you speak English as a first language?
7. Is it very hot in summer and cold in winter?
8. Is it north/south/east/west of………..?
9. Does your country border another country?
8. Are there mountains in your country?
9. Does your country have a coastline?
10. Is ………………….the capital of your country?
11. Does your state/province border?
12. Is your country/state/province north/south/east/west of?
13. Is your city in the north/south/east/west of your country/state/province?
14. Is your city the capital of your country/state/province?